How To Rent An Apartment In Lafayette
Are you getting ready to rent your first apartment? Or perhaps it’s been many years since you leased one, and now you’re going through the process again. Here are some recommendations on how to rent an apartment in Lafayette, from determining your budget to selecting the best apartment and completing the application.
What Is Your Budget?
What you should do at the very beginning is determine what you can pay. You don’t want to go crazy about a floor plan only to realize it’s not feasible from a budgetary perspective. Consider your budget prior to looking at that fantastic two-bedroom with a view. Here are some tips to help you.
- Take note of your net income - the amount you have after taxes - and subtract your current bills (credit cards, car payments, etc.).
- Anticipate unexpected charges like auto repairs and emergency medical care. In general, add 10 percent to your bill total.
- Estimate expenses at your new unit, such as groceries and utilities. If you need a place to start, designate $250 a month for both.
- How often do you go out? Approximate your dining and entertainment costs per month.
- What is left? This total is what you may apply toward rent. Now is the time to figure out if you should consider a roommate.
Picking The Right Apartment In Lafayette
Exploring different properties and floor plans can be fun but also demanding of your time. Make sure you provide yourself ample time to look - at least a couple months. Your first step is to figure out your preferred location. Do you want to be close to work or school? Are you looking downtown or in suburban areas? Is there nightlife and shopping nearby? Knowing the location will save you a lot of time.
You in all likelihood have a good idea of how many bedrooms you’ll want, so you can concentrate on finding your favorite floor plan. Next, you ought to think about what amenities you want. Is a gym or pool non-negotiable? Do you need a community that allows furry friends? Making these decisions will narrow down the possibilities.
Finishing The Application Process
Once you’ve discovered an apartment, you have to conclude the application process. You’ll want to come prepared with photo identification, evidence of income, and references. You’ll typically pay an application fee to cover credit and background checks. If you need a co-signer, let the leasing agent know early in the process, as they might not be accepted.
The application process will generally consist of the following:
- Pay the application fee
- Fill out an application form
- Prepare for credit and background checks
- Sign the contract
When filling out the application, you can anticipate supplying this information:
- Name, phone number, email, and present address
- Employment and salary
- Previous address(es)
- Animals (if applicable)
- Who to call in case of emergency
- References - you might be asked to supply former landlords or work and personal references
Come Home To The Ideal Apartment At Precedent Flats
Leasing an apartment in Lafayette isn’t hard to do at Precedent Flats. We offer a wide range of floor plans and amenities to fit your lifestyle. Request a tour to discover our property or reach out to 765-771-7085 to talk with one of our skilled leasing representatives about how to rent one of our apartments in Lafayette.